Sunday, November 23, 2008

Here's my Two Cents!



Date Night! Woohoo! My dad came over to play with the kids and Damian and I went to see Twilight. If you haven't seen the movie but plan to, DO NOT READ THIS POST! I don't want to spoil it for you. I realize a movie can never be as good as a book, however there were times that I thought "This is so corny!". Never did I once think that when I read the books!!!!

I still liked it. Weird huh? I'd still tell people to go see it. I'll still buy the DVD when it comes out being the "Twi-hard" that I am. Can you imagine what people would think who have never read the books? The movie just didn't do the book justice. Here are some thoughts:

Totally bought into the movie version of Edward, Bella, Alice, Esme, and Emmett. James, Victoria, and Laurent's characters were cast well also!

Can't say the same for Rosalie, I did not picture her as a "fake blond" with an ample booty (not that that is bad, just not Rosalie). My vision of her was more angelic, and as a natural blond. Someone you wouldn't expect to be kick ass.

The only thing I couldn't get past about Carlisle was the fake blond hair as well, otherwise the actor did well. I almost would have bought more into him if the movie left out he was blond and let him be a brunette. It left out other tidbits.

Don't ya think Jasper looked like Edward Scissorhands?

Wasn't Bella's room yellow?

I wanted more kissing!! I was robbed! But boy was their first kiss Grrrr!!

Edward was HOT!!! Smokin! He could bite me anyday!

I don't think the movie did Bella and Edward's relationship justice.I felt as though it only skimmed the surface of some of the important stuff. It didn't suck me in as the book did.

Bella cooking dinner nightly for Charlie was important to their relationship. It shows how Bella felt she needed to take care of her dad. Important!

The high school boys acting like two-year olds in every scene they were in was overdone. Even when Jacob's dad and Bella's dad started goofing around outside bugged. CORNY!

What was the deal with the field trip? Compost tea and don't drink it? Corny, corny, corny!

The movie seemed rushed. The timeline was not established well. Their relationship grew over a significant amount of time. It felt like days not months. You can't get that sort of relationship in days.

So for the director's producers of the series, here is my two cents because I know they read my blog:

Follow the Harry Potter Plan for turning a movie into a book. It'll have to be longer, get a different director for the second movie, and give the author of the novel more power in the movie making process if not the final OK (I am assuming that Stephenie didn't get much say).

More kissing!!! More contact!!! Don't have the target audience be 14 year old LDS girls. Totally appropriate movie for them. I needed it to be more racy! Shoot for the 18-25 year old demographic. The younger kids have seen worse. Bella and Edward were tempted to go all the way in the book. The movie didn't sell that as much as it should have. I wanted to be inspired to go home and attack my hubby! Sorry, TMI!

I'll probably go see it again with notebook in hand. I am feeling the need to fact check.

All of the ingredients were there for an AMAZING movie. The producers, director, and screenwriter just didn't let it cook long enough.

I fully expect the second movie to wow! me. We loyal readers/fans deserve it. I cringe at the thought of the moviemakers not finishing the series for us because of poor reviews.What do you think?

13 comments:

karen said...

Well, I liked it. I totally agree about jasper. I had to laugh everytime I saw it. And Emmett on top of the car kinda like Teen wolf. I also wish there was more to the beggining of getting to know each other. Maybe like weather changing or something. I hear they are starting now to make the next 2 movies. Im worried that Breaking Dawn might get a R rating though with the honeymoon and birth. Interested to see what they come up with though. I'd still go see it again and get the movie.

Jen Wolff said...

This comment will probably keep me out of the Celestial Kingdom, but Breaking Dawn has to be R, and I'll gladly go see it!!!! If done right, they can leave a lot to the imagination like in the book. I still liked the movie, but I think my expectations were high.

Carol said...

Very interesting write-up Jenn. It is not out here yet but I read your blog anyway. At least I know not to get too high expectations of it.

Williams Family Dirt said...

I definitely wasn't wowed...I am a sound effects person and I thought the music did it in! I liked all the characters and how they were cast. It definitely had a tween feel to it that is for sure!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Jen. They just released on the 22nd that Summit Pictures are going on with New Moon. I can only hope that they focus on the love between bella and edward and show everyone why we all fell in love with him. Also they need to touch on bella and alice's friendship! I was so not happy with the movie. There was so much that went wrong, what was up the silly faces?

The Queen Bee said...

Thanks for the review. It's pretty much what everyone here is saying. I didn't go with the "group" who saw it on Friday. I'm content to spend $3.50 for Chris and I to see it at home not $9.00 + snacks just for me in the theater.

I do think you are the first LDS person I've ever heard say that a movie was not racy enough. You are such a REBEL!!!

Jen Wolff said...

Hee Hee Hee!!!!! Maybe in my mind I imagined the book racier????

Heather said...

You're too funny, Jen. I am so not on board the Twilight craze because I know myself... I'd be too addicted. :D I love that you spoiled it for so many! LOL

How are you doing these days, crazy busy woman?

Jen Wolff said...

Heather, I left a disclaimer! LOL!

Leasa said...

I completely agree with your review. I just barely read the series and was amazed at how I was sucked in with Twilight. Edward is flat out dirty sexy! You need much more action with someone that hot!

Kari said...

You said nothing about the spidermonkey part ... BUGGED!! I wasn't "wowed" with Edward at first, but the minute he opened his mouth in the biology classroom to talk to Bella I MELTED!!! Kind of got fluttery inside :) I think Alice was beyond adorable, totally agree about Rosalie and Carlisle's hair, and was also surprised that Bella didn't cook one meal for Charlie in the movie! I wanted it to be 2 hours longer to develop more of the timeline in the book, too. I *LOVE* your review. I just read Twilight in May and finished New Moon in August ... now to get started on Eclipse!

Jen Wolff said...

OK, the whole spider monkey thing needs to be added to the "corny" list. My dh and I were talking about the other day about the spider monkey line. I don't think my knees would be knocking if my dh called me a spider monkey. Fire that screenwritier!

Anonymous said...

Ok...I just read your post. I did not read any of the comments. I have not read the books. Went to see the movie. I say amen sister to the racy and more kissing and target the demographics of older!!! When they did make romantic scenes they were romantic...the way they looked at each other...but I just wanted it to be more!!!! I don't want to read the books cause I don't want to get sucked in...but I'm thinking maybe I should. ;D