Sunday, November 21, 2010

Chocolate Pumpkin Pie



This is not the best picture in the world and is a total disgrace to my picture taking skills. I took this picture about three years ago, so obviously this was taken during my "learning year". Your thinking "Jen, there is this thing called white balance!", right? I will replace it this Thanksgiving with a new one! I so digress!

I get asked for this recipe A LOT! You'll never eat regular pumpkin pie again! I love chocolate and I love pumpkin. I love them together!!! This pie is so good, it should be illegal!! My mouth is watering as I type!!!!!!!

Make your regular pie crust (I prefer an oreo crust, you can buy it at the store).
Make pumpkin pie filling according o the directions on the back of the can. I usually use Libby's.
Reserve 1/4-1/2 cup filling.
Melt 6 oz.chocolate chips and the reserved pie filling together. I use the microwave. It melted for me in less than a minute. I use the Pampered Chef micro cooker. One of the best kitchen items I've ever purchased!
Pour chocolate mixture into center of pie crust. I added a little more pumpkin pie filling to cover the top of the choco-pumpkin mixture at this point. Swirl with a knife to marbelize. It should look pretty.
Bake pie according to directions on the can. Allow to cool.
Carmelize 1 C pecans or walnuts with 1 cup of sugar and 2 tablespoons of butter. Pour on top of cooked pie. You can also top with whip cream.

I had a lot of pumpkin pie filling left after making two chocolate pumpkin. I am going to see how it freezes this year and use it for Christmas pies.

4 comments:

Williams Family Dirt said...

Not every photo can be perfect, right? I got this great photo of Jacob yesterday, it was taken with my p/s, because we were taking video too, and I didn't want to lug 2 cameras in the wind and rain...Anyhow, he grabs the girl's flag (it is a co-ed league) and jumps in the air. Looked great on my camera, but downloaded to the computer it was a little blurry, but I don't care, it was an awesome picture and captured the moment. Sometimes, we just need to remember the moment, and to hell with the settings!! Just saying.

I will have to try your recipe, I have never heard or seen you make this one. Heaven knows we will need more deserts on Thanksgiving since my dinner is catered by Claim Jumpers. I'm a little bummed about that but hey it is better than some other place, right? Have a good Lazy Sunday and short work week!!!

Did you figure out what was wrong with your camers yesterday?

Jen Wolff said...

I'll post eh pictures on this blog. My Halloween pics are eh, but they are our moments (however, I am considering sprucing up Superman and printing on a canvas). I can take crappy snapshots too, and I love them. This pie one bugs though!

Jess said...

Cute blog Jen! You are busy! 4 kiddos??? You have to talk about what life is like with 4! I really want 4... someday! haha!

iKari Designs said...

Um ... slacker friend checking in!!! Where in the heck have I been?!? And how in the world was your family blog not in my Google Reader?!? I'm relying on that a lot more now and apparently I've been absent from so many fun times that you've had! I can't believe your baby is 3. Whoa. He was a newborn when we *met* ... crazy! I swear we are actually going to meet one of these days and that will be the best.day.ever!