Sunday, March 30, 2008

Here is my latest Layout. I have four Disneyland trips to scrap so I used today as an opportunity to do a little catching up. Last year, my mom bought us a three day vacation package to Disneyland. We stayed at Disney's Paradise Pier hotel and received lots of special privileges. We had a blast! Little did I know at that time I was pregnant with Jack and having a great time riding all the rides I shouldn't. That reminds me last time I was at Disneyland for a Kindergarten Conference and the K teachers & I all went to Disneyland. I was pregnant with Olivia and again riding rides I shouldn't have. Well, the kids seem fine. Anyway, back to this layout. The boys were both selected to be a part of the Star Wars Training Academy show in Tomorrow Land. This was the highlight of their trip!

Damian had eye surgery on Friday so he could pass the vision portion of the firefighters entrance process. By the way, he passed the written and skills portion. I had no doubt. He was supposed to get Lasik. I was super concerned as he had visited three doctors in town and he was a less than prime candidate. Two agreed he should be fine in doing Lasik but one preferred he do PRK instead. One doctor wanted him to get corneal implants (yikes). So he went ahead with Lasik with a doctor who did my mom's procedure as well as a few friends. Friday while at work, I kept waiting and waiting for him to call and I began to get nervous. He was supposed to be done around noon and it was then 2:00. I was having third quarter conferences when I finally received a call. Rather than starting off with "Jen , everything is fine" He began with "Jen, I couldn't get Lasik as there was a complication". Of course I start crying and freaking out. He quickly calms me down and explains the situation. Apparently when they went in to do Lasik, they discovered the could not position the device correctly to do the procedure because of his forehead. The doctor told him (not offered) he was going to have PRK. This is a more expensive procedure that is considered more of a surgery and requires him to be off of work for a week. Everything ended up OK, but he has to see the doctor everyday next week. On Saturday when he went in to be checked, one eye had 20/30 vision and the other had 20/60. This is amazing as Damian was 20/200+. The doctor was so impressed with Damian's results that he had to call the other doctors in to have a look. Damian's vision should only get better over the next few weeks. The best part was that Damian got the surgery for the Lasik price. I guess turning this over to Heavenly Father worked out! My husband was more sure of the success than I was, but I am a stress case by nature. Thanks to everyone for their prayers for us through this process. Damian also wants me to mention how thankful he is to the faith of our children. We would often hear them praying for their daddy. We'd also like to give a shout out to our missionaries who came to give Damian a blessing.

I am getting ready for Jessica Sprague's Digi in Deep class which starts tomorrow. This is her advanced scrapbooking with Photoshop class that I've anxiously been waiting for. My mom paid for the class as an early birthday present and Damian bought me Photoshop CS3 also as an early birthday present. Kiahna will be taking the class with me. I miss her terribly so it will be nice to hang with her in cyberspace! Kiahna said we should be able to access the class late tonight and since it would probably kill me to wait to get home and start tomorrow, I may stay up late with her and get started. I'll be sure to share what we create. Catch ya later!

10 comments:

SusanD said...

Give thanks that Damian' surgery went well!!

Just wanted to let you that I am in DID and I used the tut that you all prepared for me and it went perfectly..., perfect directions, but I didn't care for the background that
I had chosen! Yikes! could it be that there is some design talent involved???

Thank you so much!!

Tam said...

Good news on the surgery. Michael's vision is really low but I didn't realize Damian's was about the same. I am glad he qualified for the surgery. Michael doesn't because of the shape of this eyes. The pressure caused by the surgery combined with the pressure already present would blind him. Not a good outcome!!

Williams Family Dirt said...

I am anxiously awaiting the email saying the link is available...glad Damian is doing well!! Everything will work out, it just is never how you would expect it...look at me I live in the desert in the middle of no where...but it has been an awesome experience! Just remember the eternal perspective!

Leasa said...

So glad to hear that Damian's surgery went well. It's always so awesome to me how perfectly things seem to work out when you exercise faith and trust in the Lord. Yet, I totally understand the whole stressing out thing. I am a total stresser too, maybe that's why I get so many faith building experiences thrown at me!

The Queen Bee said...

Ditto for the faith building experiences. This whole Illinois has been one for me too but ended up being a great one. That is so great for Damian!

Your Jedi's are so cute. I think that would be C's dream come true!

karen said...

How fun was Disneyland. My kids keep asking to go back but nana doesnt live in FL any more Or CA. Oh well they'll get over it.

Glad to hear Damian's surgery went ok. Eye surgery is not a pleasent thing to mess with. My sister has to have MAJOR surgery on her eyes in May. I guess the pressure is getting really bad now and the shape of her eyes are to where her eyes bulge out and the drs are concered any scratch she may get on them she will loose her sight. Her eyes are pretty bad as well. The Drs have to like cut slits in her eye sockets to make room for her eyes and .... well I wont bore you any more. She is supposed to be home for like a month after its done. She was told it will feel like she got hit by a big rig in the face with swollen face and black eyes. I am glad Damians recovery wont be so long.

Looking forward to your new pages. I will have to have you help me after our move to get started scrapbooking. I Have all the stuff for paper scrapbooking but I love the digital. Most of my pictures.... no All of my pictures are on my computer now anyway.

Anonymous said...

So, I tried to leave you a long comment (do I ever leave any other kind of comment?) yesterday, but for some reason it didn't post. No worries, I was only marginally amusing not full-fledged funny. Really, you didn't miss all that much.

As for the blog plotting, I find the whole thing hilarious! Tamra suggested the same thing last week. It would seem the stars, and friends, are aligning against me... or rather against Russell. I think his hesitation is that he knows just how technically inept I truly am and has visions of himself enslaved at the keyboard while I dictate every line of a blog. =) Little does he know that if I were to enslave him it would be to our washing machine... that would be useful!

As for the tag... I have a LONG middle name. As always, I think everyone should be able to have a piece of Willow tag... so, a blog hyjacking I will go. Since you started it, I will start here.

My middle name is Danielle.

D- This was a hard one. I couldn't decide between dance, dishes, daring, or several other D adjectives. So, I will elaborate a bit on each. First Dance -- I love to do it and am horrible! I have no rhythm at all. However, I took tap dance classes from high school through college and even returned to the studio for classes after I was married. My teacher was EASILY in her 60s and could dance circles around all of us in the class. Tap is one dance style I sucked less at.... we wont talk about the Salsa class that Russ and I took together. I start to convulse just thinking about it.

Dishes -- I was lied to as a child. My parents swore that "nothing cured the common cold like hot soapy dishwater." We don't have a dishwasher in this old house of ours, but I don't really mind doing dishes. It is one of the few moments of solitude as Russ readies the kids for bed. I am getting a dishwasher next month... Gordon will be 7 and finally ALLOWED to wash dishes. He can't wait!!

Daring -- I really don't think that I am all that daring when you get down to it. I mean, I have no desire to leap from a lovely functional airplane. However, I can be a bit of an adrenaline junkie on occasion and generally will try most things twice. You have to try somethings twice just in case you did it wrong the first time.

Oh, just so you know... your husband is a wicked, wicked man. I had nearly blocked out my prolific use of the phrase "Hey Now!" Unfortunately, it has come back to me since reading Damian's suggestions for a blog name. The current overused phrase is "Great Honk." Saddly, great honk has not caught on among popular use.... and so ends my attempt to foul the English language on obnoxious phrase at a time.

I think Karen will get the letter A.

Happy Monday,
Willow

Jen Wolff said...

Willow, Blogger is for dummies! It is so super easy! Quoting Rob Schneider from Waterboy "You canduit!"

Taylor Family said...

Glad to hear it all turned out okay. It's amazing how fast the vision improves. Hope he continues to recover quickly.

karen said...

Willow - Tell russ if you can leave comments you CAN have a blog. Just pretend you are leaving a comment and we will comment on it. Love ya and miss you all.