Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Yumm-o! Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli Recipe















Okay guys, Here's the recipe for those who have asked for it. I swear it tastes the same (if not better) than the real thing! I think it's heartier and I also made some healthier choices regarding the ingredients (i.e. cutting out the oil, using a lean ground beef). I ate this for lunch and dinner for last week straight (by choice ,of course) and I lost four pounds! I wasn't really trying that hard to lose weight. Also included, a picture (of the last bowl from Sunday). Enjoy!

Ingredients: 3 tsp oil (I cut it out),2 lbs. of ground beef (I used 10% fat),1/2 an onion chopped, 2 large carrots (slivered)- I like more, 3 stalks of celery(diced), 48 oz. canned/diced tomatoes, 2 cans of red kidney beans, 2 cans of white kidney beans -if you can't find it, any white beans, 88 oz. of beef stock, 3 tsp. oregano, 2 1/2 tsp. pepper, 5 tsp. fresh parsley (chopped, 1 1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce, 48 oz. spaghetti sauce, 8 oz. dry pasta shells (macaroni, or other)

Saute' beef in oil in a large 10 qt. pot until beef starts to brown. Add onions, carrots, celery, and tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain beans and add to the pot. Also add beef stock, oregano, pepper, Tabasco, spaghetti sauce, and noodles. Add chopped parsley then simmer for 45 minutes. Celery and carrots should be tender and the noodles cooked. Don't taste test to early like I did ;0(. I was scared for a bit that it would taste bad, but the flavor is at it's best after it simmers. Recipe makes about 9 qt. of soup. Cut recipe in half for a smaller family. I say make the full recipe and freeze for a later date or eat for a week. Top off with some grated Parmesan cheese.

4 comments:

The Queen Bee said...

Sounds great. I'm gonna try it. Thanks

Heather said...

Hey Jen! It's Heather from Jessica's class. I dug around and found your wonderful blog! I really enjoyed playing digi during our off-time - you WILL be taking the next class, right?

I hope you don't mind, but a few ladies over on Jessica's forum tagged me, and I in turn am looking for nice, willing friends who'll play along. The instructions are in my blog - I hope I'm not being too presumptious. Thanks in advance!

By the way, what cute kids. Especially your gorgeous little Olivia.

Anonymous said...

Looks tastey. I may have to send my husband out with the guys so I can try it. He is first, an Olive Garden snob (I think that is a casualty of the mission in Italy). Secondly, he is anti-soup. I am fairly certain that if his dinner couldn't have walked into the restaurant, he doesn't want to eat it.

Willow

Williams Family Dirt said...

waiting for an update!