Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve

So we start our morning running over to the mall to see Santa. I normally like to go sooner, but we were too crazy busy. Lesson to be learned: Don't ever go see Santa on Christmas Eve! The mall wasn't too terrible, but the line to see Santa was. We had to wait over an hour. That was not easy for Jack. Fortunately there was a Wetzel's Pretzels next to Santa. So my big boys had to run over (under a watchful eye) to get pretzels and such to keep Jack happy. Man, when those pretzels and soda were gone... YIKES! Olivia and the boys were great and were super helpful, but Jack was just CRABBY.

I think Santa's helpers work too hard to try to get kids to stop crying or look at the camera. Most normal people realize that these pictures will suck. What we treasure is the moment. You can't stop the the tantrum or the freak out once it starts. I love it, I think when little ones freak upon sitting on Santa's lap that it is AWESOME! The line could also go faster also if everyone embraced this sentiment. Mall Santa was awesome!! He deserves employee of the month!

Here is our Santa picture. Sure, the quality of it is crappy and the price for the pics and CD was ridiculous, but this moment was PRICELESS!!
Every family needs a picture like this:


So over to Macy's we go for a fabulous new pair of black boots!! Thanks to my Sugar Momma!! She said she wanted to buy me a pair for Christmas. So I went ahead and bought them. I hate to admit that they were out of the price range given. I called her after my purchase and she was feelin' the Christmas Spirit and said she'd cover them. YAY! I got the last pair in my size. Just keeping my fingers crossed they don't give me blisters. I thought it was hysterical that while I was trying on shoes and Jack was still having the fit that Santa started, Olivia rips off both her socks and shoes and begins trying on shoes as well. I just let her, I was over getting my kids to comply at this point. She did pitch a fit when I refused to buy her an $80.00 pair of Calvin Klein pink flats with a flower on them (quite cute might I add). I had to lie to her and tell her maybe Santa would bring them tonight. She says in her sweet voice "for me?" Let's hope she forgets by tomorrow morning.

Next stop was Costco to pick up some pictures for Kiahna and for a few grocery items for tomorrow's feast. Jack was getting crabbier and unless he was eating samples or the cart was moving, he was fussing.I thought he was just sleepy. Little did I know that he was beginning to get sick. By the time we get home, Jack had a 101 degree fever. "Not tonight!" (or tomorrow) was my thought. I quickly give him Tylenol. His fever spiked at 103 degrees. SOOOOOOO, my perfect fantasy of Christmas Eve this year is shot. After talking to the advice nurse, piggy backing Advil with the Tylenol, and giving Jack a bath, we were able to get his temperature down. So now, he sleeps. Tonight, while I hide in the bedroom wrapping gifts, the big kids will make their gingerbread house and open their new jammies. I am also hoping to make a big pot of soup to freeze if poor little Jack can handle it. My Christmas wish now is that we don't end up in the ER or at urgent care. I know that despite my poor little guy being sick, our Christmas will be magical and memorable. Just not what I had planned. Have a Merry Christmas from our family to yours!!!!

3 comments:

Carol said...

I am sorry (especially to your little fellow) but I giggled when I saw your Christmas photo.

I have just looked up a map. From the 19th - 21st of January we are staying at Visalia (that is where my DH goes a few times a year to stay with a golf pro). Do you know how far is that from Bakersfield?

The Queen Bee said...

OOOH it's awful when little ones are are sick on Christmas. One year when I was little we celebrated a week late because my brother and I had the stomach flu. Hope you had a good day anyway!

Kari said...

I agree that everyone needs a Santa pic like that ... *PERFECT*